More than 60 years after Sutter's Fort became part of the California parks system, you would think the city and county of Sacramento would know who the owner is.

The state attorney general's office has launched a criminal investigation of California parks officials after the "hidden funds" case seemingly reached a dead end when state and local prosecutors did not pursue charges last month.
The central figure in one of the financial scandals that engulfed the California parks department last year has agreed to pay a $7,000 civil penalty.
California state parks
A new probe of financial scandals at the California Department of Parks and Recreation found that officials maintained a hidden cash surplus for as long as 20 years – far longer than previously known.
The Sacramento Bee's investigation of California state parks funding has been recognized with a McClatchy Co. President's Award for journalism excellence.
The Sacramento County district attorney said Thursday she will not pursue criminal charges against state parks officials in the recent "hidden funds" scandal, saying a recent investigation by the state attorney general left her little option because of its "failure to identify any crime."
State park begins charging fees to stay open
The Sacramento County district attorney said Thursday that her office will not pursue criminal charges against California state parks officials in the "hidden funds" scandal because of a "failure to identify any crime" by the state attorney general.
Six months after the public learned that California state parks officials had concealed $20 million even as they were crying poor and closing parks, one crucial issue remains foggy as ever:

ABOUT THIS INVESTIGATION
The California Department of Parks and Recreation has been hit by scandal this summer. It began with news in July, first reported by The Sacramento Bee, of an unauthorized vacation buyout program offered to employees at agency headquarters, which resulted in payouts of more than $271,000. A week later, state officials revealed that the department had been sitting on $54 million in surplus money in two special funds, even as it moved to close 70 state parks because of supposed funding shortfalls. The long-serving department director, Ruth Coleman, resigned on July 19, and her chief deputy was fired. Numerous other employees have been demoted, and an attorney general's investigation is under way.
BEE REPORTERS ON THIS INVESTIGATION

Matt Weiser, a senior writer at The Sacramento Bee, has covered environmental issues, water resources and flood control for the newspaper since 2005. A graduate of Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo, he has worked as a reporter, editor and freelance writer in California since 1988. Contact him: mweiser@sacbee.com

Kevin Yamamura has worked at the Sacramento Bee since 1999. He has spent a decade in the Capitol Bureau and has covered the state budget for the last five years. He is a native of the Sacramento area and a graduate of Del Campo High School and Cornell University. Contact him: kyamamura@sacbee.com

Bee Capitol Bureau reporter Jon Ortiz has covered California's bureaucracy since the summer of 2008 when he launched The State Worker blog and weekly column. In 2003 he graduated from Sacramento State with a double major in political science and journalism and soon covered business for The Bee. Contact him: jortiz@sacbee.com

FOLLOW US | Get more from sacbee.com | Follow us on Twitter | Become a fan on Facebook | Get news in your inbox | View our mobile versions | e-edition: Print edition online | What our bloggers are saying
Add to My Yahoo!
Sacramento Bee Job listing powered by Careerbuilder.com
Quick Job Search
Sacramentoconnect.com SacWineRegion.com SacMomsclub.com SacPaws.com BeeBuzz Points Find n Save