Five lessons from last week:
▪ Giants pitcher Madison Bumgarner is just fine.
▪ The 49ers are coping with the loss of key players by studying ways to bring more shade to Levi’s Stadium.
Never miss a local story.
▪ NBA players can acquire nicknames with the help of wayward closed captioning.
▪ Kevin Durant’s pain may be the Warriors’ gain.
▪ If Kentucky had the luck of the Irish, it would not be in the Final Four.
– Jeff Caraska
ON THIS DATE
1973: Ken Norton records an upset by winning a 12-round split decision over Muhammad Ali for the North American Boxing Federation heavyweight title. Norton, a 5-1 underdog, breaks Ali’s jaw in the first round.
1975: UCLA beats Kentucky 92-85 for its 10th NCAA men’s basketball title under coach John Wooden, who announced his retirement two days earlier.
1986: Freshman Pervis Ellison makes two free throws with 27 seconds left to seal Louisville’s 72-69 victory over Duke for the NCAA championship.
The Associated Press