Routes for the 2018 Amgen Tour of California race were released Thursday by AEG, owner and presenter of the 13th annual race.
The 645.4-mile men’s event and the 187.3-mile women’s race both end May 19 in Sacramento. The men’s race will begin May 13 in Long Beach and will travel on roadways, highways and coastlines during seven stages. The women’s race will begin May 17 with a road stage beginning and ending in Elk Grove.
Here are details about the local routes, as provided by AEG:
Never miss a local story.
▪ Stage 5, May 17, Stockton to Elk Grove (109.4 miles): The stage starts near the waterfront sports arena in Stockton. The race will head northeast into the gold mine area around Amador County, Buena Vista and the town of Ione. With one small climb on the 110-mile stage, the race will end at the Aquatic Center in Elk Grove.
▪ Stage 6, May 18, Folsom to South Lake Tahoe (122 miles): The stage will start on Folsom’s Johnny Cash Trail, then feature an uphill climb, cresting at Carson Pass (8,600-foot elevation), leading to a finish in South Lake Tahoe at Heavenly (6,600-foot elevation).
▪ Stage 7, May 19, Sacramento (90.7 miles): The capital city takes part in the Amgen Tour of California for the ninth time. Cyclists will roll across the Tower Bridge into West Sacramento, then to Woodland and several rural roads in Yolo County. After a quick sprint in Winters, the race turns east and toward the final finish in Sacramento. The peloton will race down L Street to the finish line and the start of three loops around the state Capitol.
▪ Stage 1, May 17, Elk Grove (76.7 miles): The women’s opening stage begins at the city’s Aquatic Center, then heads west and south to the Sacramento River and the Delta, before ending down Civic Center Drive to the Aquatic Center.
▪ Stage 2, May 18, South Lake Tahoe (67.1 miles): The racers will head west from Heavenly Mountain Resort, then turn south on Highway 89 and over the 7,740-foot summit of Luther Pass. A quick descent will take the riders into the Carson River Basin and on a loop through the Washoe Reservation before heading northeast into Nevada. A left turn will take them north on Kingsbury Grade. The 8-mile climb gains 2,700 feet in elevation, before cyclists return to South Lake Tahoe at Heavenly.
▪ Stage 3, Sacramento circuit race (43.5 miles): The flat course features six turns, passing the state Capitol building other state government buildings. The 90-minute race will begin shortly after the departure of the men’s Stage 7.
Anthony Sorci: 916-321-1051.