Burbank High School had its best season in school history last year.
The Titans went 10-0 in the regular season, won their third consecutive Metro Conference title and beat rival Grant and Pleasant Grove in the Sac-Joaquin Section Division I playoffs.
But then Oak Ridge stopped the Titans 24-6 in the semifinals, with Burbank’s players vowing to do better in 2013.
While this season’s 9-2 record isn’t quite as impressive – the Titans had nonleague losses to Pleasant Grove and Grant – they still have speed to thrill.
The Titans, now playing in Division II, put their talents on full display Friday night in beating visiting Will C. Wood of Vacaville 61-28 in the opening round of the playoffs.
Among the highlights:
• Harrison Anderson scored four touchdowns, two by pass and two by rush, and had two interceptions.
• Benji Jones rushed for 278 yards, including touchdowns of 70 and 87 yards, on 18 carries.
• Quarterback Ernest Jenkins completed 5 of 8 passes for 102 yards and three touchdowns and rushed for 87 yards and a 47-yard touchdown.
• Washington State-bound Calvin Green ran for a 38-yard score, caught an 18-yard touchdown pass and had an interception.
• Burbank (9-2) forced Wood (7-4) into seven turnovers, including six interceptions. In addition to those by Anderson and Green, Ken Brown, Esteban Bravo and Keyshawn Ates had interceptions. DeQuan Rogers had a fumble recovery.
The only glaring downside for the Titans, who face Elk Grove in the next round, was 22 penalties for 215 yards.
In other Division II games: