Most NBA rookies are unsure how they’re skills will translate to the NBA. Not Willie Cauley-Stein. The former Kentucky big man, as Voisin writes, already has a clear sense of who he is, and who he isn’t, and what he can do, and what he can’t. Also, check out a video with the story for a short interview with Cauley-Stein.
In the 49ers’ 30-27 loss to the New York Giants, they allowed nearly 200 receiving yards to tight ends and running backs. Why? Mostly because of problems in coverage by linebackers NaVorro Bowman and Michael Wilhoite.
▪ The 49ers add a wide receiver and a center on Tuesday. The Bee’s Matt Barrows gives you the lowdown.
▪ Did you know the 49ers’ Colin Kaepernick and Derek Carr of the Raiders were both 36th overall picks in their respective drafts? If you’re not too stunned by that information, check them out in the latest Side by Side.
▪ Colin Kaepernick believes the 49ers can win their next 11 games. What else might be possible in the NFL the rest of the season? High Five has a few ideas – well, five possibilities to be exact.
▪ If you don’t have your DVR programmed yet for this weekend’s NFL games, you might want to check out which games will be on TV.
Is it just coincidence the Cubs clinched their first playoff series at home the same year the Foo Fighters played at Wrigley Field? Well, it’s not as if first-year manager Joe Maddon made something from nothing. His talented young team eliminates the Cardinals in their National League Division Series on Tuesday and advances to the National League Championship Series.
▪ See a photo gallery of the Cubs’ historic victory.
Clayton Kershaw ends his five-game postseason skid with seven brilliant innings while pitching on three days’ rest and the Los Angeles Dodgers beat the New York Mets 3-1 Tuesday night to force a deciding Game 5 on Thursday in their National League Division Series. Kershaw gives up one run and three hits. The reigning N.L. MVP and Cy Young Award winner was 1-6 with a 4.99 ERA for his postseason career entering this start.
MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL LINKS
The clock is ticking. Who gets your vote (by noon Thursday)? Rocklin’s Chase Hatada? Bella Vista’s Andreas Litton? Elk Grove’s Jayden Machado? Davis’ Ish Perez? Del Campo’s Ben Purcell?
Stats, scores and schedules are now easier to find and richer than before at sacbee.com/sports. While browsing stories about your favorite teams and sports, you’ll have access to the latest results and can dive deeper into the numbers, a couple clicks away.
View the day’s box scores, latest standings and more coverage in The Sacramento Bee e-Edition.
Plan your daily sports viewing with the latest TV listings.