Sacramento State’s baseball winning streak grew to six games Saturday with a 7-2 and 12-2 doubleheader sweep of visiting Portland, the Hornets reported.
Nathan Lukes homered and had two RBIs for Sac State in Game 1. It was his first home run since May 2013.
Leading 4-2, the Hornets scored three times in the eighth on bases-loaded walks.
Ty Nichols picked up the victory, allowing two runs in five innings.
Never miss a local story.
In Game 2, the Hornets broke it open with four runs in the third and five runs in the fourth. Chris Lewis homered twice and had five RBIs, and Vinny Esposito homered and drove in four runs for Sac State (6-1).
Sam Long gave up two runs in 52/3 innings to earn the win in the nightcap.
The Pilots are 1-7.
▪ Host UC Davis suffered its first two losses this season, getting swept by Gonzaga 13-4 and 8-2 in a doubleheader, according to the Aggies’ website.
In Game 1, the Aggies committed two errors that led to four unearned runs. In Game 2, UCD (4-2-1) made four errors and allowed five unearned runs.
Sac State gets swept in softball doubleheader
Host Sac State surrendered late leads in both games and was swept by Saint Mary’s in a softball doubleheader, the Hornets reported.
In the opener, the Gaels erased a 2-0 deficit in the fifth inning to win 7-6 in eight innings. In the nightcap, Saint Mary’s (5-8) erased a 2-1 deficit in the sixth to win 4-2.
Sasha Margulies went 5 for 7 with a double, two home runs and five RBIs in the doubleheader for Sac State (3-7).
Hornets’ Soltanici records upset in tennis
▪ Sac State’s Alina Soltanici upset 80th-ranked Elianne Douglas-Miron of Washington 1-6, 6-3, 10-8 at No. 1 singles, but the Hornets lost 6-1 in Seattle, Sac State reported. The victory was Soltanici’s first against a ranked singles player.
The Huskies improved to 6-4 and dropped the Hornets to 3-5.
▪ The Sac State men (2-4) lost their third consecutive match, 6-1 to Pacific (2-8) at Rio Del Oro Racquet Club, the Hornets reported.
Ayman Abdulwahab collected the lone point for the Hornets (2-4), winning 6-7 (3), 6-5 over Ashwin Sharma, who defaulted.
▪ UC Davis’ Frederique Sleiffer and Jessie Lee won in singles and doubles, but the Aggies (3-7) lost 4-3 to host USF (5-3), according to the UC Davis website.
▪ The 13th-ranked UC Davis women’s water polo team split its first two matches at the UCI Invitational in Irvine, according to the Aggies’ website. After losing to fourth-ranked Cal 10-2, UC Davis beat 14th-ranked Michigan 7-4. Ariel Arcidiacono scored two goals, and goalkeeper Jillian Wilding posted seven saves in the Aggies’ victory, which evened UC Davis’ record at 7-7.
▪ The Sac State gymnastics team placed third in a four-team meet at UCLA, the Hornets reported. UCLA won with 197.050 points, followed by seventh-ranked Nebraska (196.650), the Hornets (194.150) and Bridgeport (192.575). Sac State’s Julia Konner competed in the all-around for the first time and finished sixth with 38.700.
Bee Sports staff