Sam Long pitched a five-hitter Saturday as Sacramento State shut out host Cal Poly 2-0 for the second consecutive night, the Hornets reported.
Long threw his third career shutout, striking out five and walking none. Of his 105 pitches, 73 were strikes, and he twice prevented a runner at third from scoring.
In four starts this season, Long is 4-0 with a 1.69 ERA and has held opposing batters to a .185 average.
The Hornets (10-7) had 11 hits but stranded 10 runners. Scotty Burcham went 3 for 4 with a triple and scored both Sac State runs.
Never miss a local story.
Burcham gave Sac State a 1-0 lead in the first inning, tripling with one out and scoring on Nathan Lukes’ groundout. In the eighth, singles by Burcham, Chris Lewis and Vinny Esposito produced the final run.
The Mustangs (5-11) were shut out for the fourth time this season.
Sac State men, women win on the road in tennis
▪ The Sac State men’s tennis team won all six singles matches in a 6-1 Big Sky Conference victory over Eastern Washington in Cheney, Wash., the Hornets reported.
Sac State’s Sean Kolar beat Robert Dula 6-1, 6-2 for his team-high sixth singles victory this season, all from the No. 1 position.
The Hornets improved to 5-7 overall and 3-1 in the Big Sky and dropped the Eagles to 3-9 and 1-4.
▪ Alina Soltanici’s win at No. 1 singles lifted the Sac State women (8-7) to a 4-3 victory over host San Diego (1-6), the Hornets reported. Soltanici rallied to beat Marta Stojanovic 6-2, 2-6, 7-6 (1).
▪ Kamila Kecki won in singles and doubles, but the UC Davis women (5-10) fell 5-2 to host Santa Clara (3-6), the Aggies reported.
Kecki and Frederique Sleiffer teamed to beat Zeina El Tawil and Riley Morgan 6-3. Kecki then defeated Danielle Zinn 6-3, 6-4.
UCD golfers fall from leadin Bandon Dunes tourney
The UC Davis men’s golf team fell from the first-day lead into a tie for sixth at the Bandon (Ore.) Dunes Championship, the Aggies reported.
UCD was at 6 over par after shooting 13 over in the second round. Duke and Missouri shared the lead at 1 under.
The Aggies’ Mike Brockington was tied for 11th at 1-under 143 after a 73.
▪ Host UC Davis won the women’s team title and Sac State took the men’s title in the Aggie Open track and field meet, UC Davis reported. The Aggies’ Emma Redick won the 400-meter hurdles with the fourth-best time in school history, 1:01.14.
▪ The Sac State women medaled in all seven races, including victories in the varsity eight, second varsity eight, varsity four and second varsity four, in the Sacramento State Rowing Invitational on Lake Natoma, the Hornets reported.
▪ Host Sac State fell to 2-2 in the Capital Classic softball tournament, losing 5-0 to Grand Canyon and 9-1 to Penn State in six innings, the Hornets reported. Sac State (9-14) hit only .240 (12 for 50) in the losses while allowing the opposition to bat .407 (22 for 54).
▪ Elizabeth Landry tied her career high of seven goals, but the host UC Davis lacrosse team (1-5) lost 13-10 to Bryant (5-2), the Aggies reported.
▪ The Sac State women’s sand volleyball team (2-2) posted a 4-1 victory over San Jose State (0-5) in its home opener at the Sacramento Softball Complex, the Hornets reported.
Bee Sports staff