Sacramento State was swept in a Western Athletic Conference baseball series for the first time since 2013, losing 2-1 to Seattle on Saturday in Bellevue, Wash., the Hornets reported.
The first-place Redhawks (15-15, 8-1) took three games from Sac State.
The Hornets’ Sam Long (5-1) allowed two runs and two hits in seven innings. Seattle’s Brock Carpenter hit a tiebreaking solo homer in the fifth.
Sac State (17-13, 6-3) had only four hits and went 1 for 11 with runners in scoring position.
Never miss a local story.
Hornets drop into tiefor first place in softball
▪ The Sac State softball team fell into a three-way tie for first place in the Big Sky Conference, losing 11-7 to Southern Utah in Cedar City, Utah, the Hornets reported.
Sac State (17-19, 7-2) shares the lead with Idaho State and Weber State.
The Thunderbirds (12-22, 4-5) scored nine runs in the first two innings. The Hornets scored in the second on two-run singles by Paige Castro and Shelby Johnston.
▪ Host UC Davis lost for the sixth time in eight games, 5-0 to Cal State Northridge, the Aggies reported.
UCD (13-19, 1-5 Big West Conference) had only two hits against the first-place Matadors (31-10, 6-0).
Sac State men capture track and field title
Eric Adorno won the 100 (10.60 seconds) and 200 meters (21.67) to lead the Sac State men to the team title at the Mondo Mid-Major Challenge at Hornet Stadium, Sac State reported.
North Dakota State took the women’s title, with Sac State fourth. The Hornets’ Dominique Whittington set a meet record of 53.71 seconds in the 400 meters.
Hornets’ men sweep tennis doubleheader
▪ The host Sac State men swept a Big Sky tennis doubleheader, 4-2 over Northern Arizona and 6-1 over Idaho State, the Hornets reported.
Sac State (10-11, 7-3) received singles victories from Niranjan Ram and Joaquin Marquez to clinch the win over Northern Arizona (7-11, 5-3). Against Idaho State (6-8, 4-5), Tom Miller beat Josh Goodwin 6-3, 0-6, 6-1 in the decisive match.
▪ Keelia Houston and Paige Virgil scored three goals each to lead the 11th-ranked UC Davis women’s water polo team over eighth-ranked Cal State Northridge 9-7 at UCD, the Aggies reported. UCD improved to 15-11 overall and 1-2 in the Big West Conference. The Matadors fell to 13-10 and 2-2.
▪ The UC Davis men’s golf team finished seventh at the ASU Thunderbird Invitational in Tempe, Ariz., the Aggies reported. UCD’s Luke Vivolo tied for 14th at 2-over-par 212.
▪ The Sac State women’s sand volleyball team split two matches in its tournament at the Sacramento Softball Complex, the Hornets reported. Sac State (4-8) defeated Cal 3-2 and lost to 13th-ranked Pacific 5-0.
Bee Sports staff