UC Davis’ Luke Vivolo shot a career-best 6-under-par 66 for a three-stroke lead, and the Aggies opened a nine-shot lead Saturday after two rounds of the El Macero Classic, UCD reported.
The Aggies fired a 1-under 287 on their home course for an 8-under total entering today’s final round. Marquette and Sacramento State shared second place at 1 over.
Vivolo was at 11-under 133.
▪ Led by Paige Lee, the 24th-ranked UC Davis women tied for third place at the SMU/DAC Invitational in Dallas, the Aggies reported.
UCD finished at 24 over. Oklahoma State won at 11 over. Lee placed sixth at 5-over 221 after a 78.
Sac State baseball team blows lead at Utah Valley
▪ Sac State surrendered a five-run lead in an 11-9 loss to Utah Valley in Orem, Utah, the Hornets reported.
Scotty Burcham hit a three-run homer, and Gunner Pollman had a solo shot to help Sac State (18-15, 6-5 Western Athletic Conference) lead 9-4 after 51/2 innings. But the Wolverines (12-20, 8-3) came back with seven runs in the sixth.
▪ UC Davis lost for the fifth time in seven games, 10-6 to visiting Cal State Fullerton, the Aggies reported.
Izaak Silva tied a career high with four hits for UCD (20-12-1, 4-4 Big West Conference). The Titans (18-15, 5-3) broke it open with four runs in the middle innings.
▪ Sacramento City College handed San Joaquin Delta its first loss of the season, 7-5 in Stockton, according to the Panthers’ website.
SCC (14-16, 6-9 Big 8 Conference) broke a 5-5 tie in the eighth on Kyle Blakeman’s double and Austin Spainhour’s single. The Mustangs (28-1, 14-1) were ranked No. 1 in the state.
Hornets put on power display in softball win
▪ The Sac State softball team tied a school record by hitting four homers in a 16-2 win over North Dakota in Grand Forks, N.D., the Hornets reported.
Paige Martin led off the game with a homer and hit a three-run drive in the second inning for Sac State (21-19, 10-2 Big Sky Conference). Sasha Marguiles capped an 11-run first inning with a three-run homer, and Alexis Martinez led off the second by going deep.
North Dakota (8-32, 0-12) lost its 14th in a row.
▪ Host UC Davis split a doubleheader with Cal Poly, the Aggies reported.
The Mustangs (20-22, 3-5 Big West) won the opener 2-0 on Sierra Hyland’s four-hitter. UCD (14-21, 2-6) won the nightcap 6-3 as Brianna Warner and Ashley Lotoszynski hit two-run homers.
Aggies get landmark victory in men’s tennis
Host UC Davis beat UC Santa Barbara in men’s tennis for the first time, winning 4-3, the Aggies reported.
Everett Maltby rallied to beat Erik Johnsson 5-7, 7-5, 6-2 to clinch UCD’s victory.
The Aggies (15-4, 3-0 Big West) ended the four-match winning streak of the Gauchos (10-8, 2-2).
Bee Sports staff