The first round of the four-round second stage of Web.com Tour qualifying generally didn’t go well Tuesday for players with area ties.
Folsom’s Kevin Lucas led the charge with a 1-under-par 71 in Murrieta. He is tied for 14th in the 75-player field.
Erick Justesen (75) is tied for 38th, Cameron Rappleye (76) is tied for 49th, while John Catlin (77) and Matt Hansen (77) are tied for 58th.
Arbuckle’s Ben Geyer (8-over 78) is tied for 57th in Panama Beach, Fla. Grass Valley’s Erik Flores (1-over 72) is tied for 40th in Plantation, Fla.
The top 18 from each site advance to next month’s final stage, where every player is assured of at least conditional Web.com Tour status for 2015.
Fair Oaks’ Scott Gordon failed to advance last week in Brooksville, Fla.
▪ Bob Niger shot a 4-over 76 in the first round of the Champions Tour qualifying tournament in Winter Garden, Fla. The El Dorado Hills resident is tied for 48th, seven shots behind the leaders. The top five in the 78-player field after 72 holes earn fully exempt status, while the next seven earn conditional status. Players in the top 30 earns spots in all open qualifiers.
▪ Some six-way ties for 56th are better than others. In the case of Sacramento’s Spencer Levin, his finish in last week’s OHL Classic fulfilled the terms of his Major Medical Extension, giving him fully exempt status for the 2014-15 PGA Tour season that resumes in January in Hawaii.
▪ The Callaway Pebble Beach Invitational, with free admission and no spectator ropes, is Thursday through Sunday in Monterey. The first three rounds are played at Pebble Beach, Spyglass Hill and Del Monte, with Sunday’s final round at Pebble. The field includes players from the PGA, LPGA, Web.com and Champions tours. Sacramento’s Kevin Sutherland, long-drive champ Jamie Sadlowski, up-and-comer Tony Finau and former LPGA star Annika Sorenstam are in the 81-player field.
▪ Sierra’s April Chang (Highlands High School) finished second at the California Community College women’s championship in Morro Bay. Sierra’s Deedra Dollesin (Granite Bay) tied for eighth.
▪ Oak Ridge’s Lexi Perry and Woodland Christian’s Courtney Vogel each shot an 11-over 83 Tuesday at Red Hill Country Club in Rancho Cucamonga to tie for 33rd at the California high school girls championship.
Call The Bee’s Steve Pajak, (916) 326-5526.