The Bee highlights 22 golfers that are scheduled to play in the 2015 U.S. Senior Open at Del Paso Country Club on June 25-28 in Sacramento.
Mark Calcavecchia entered June looking to bounce back from a disappointing May in which he failed to place in the top 50, including a missed cut in the Senior PGA Championship.
He responded by winning the Principal Charity Classic on June 7, never trailing in the final round for his first win since a gruesome injury to his right hand in November that left him wondering if his career was finished.
“It still bothers me. I wake up and these fingers hurt,” Calcavecchia told The Associated Press. “But I get out there and start playing. ... I kind of get over the pain and forget about it.”
Never miss a local story.
WATCH: Domination – in bacon-themed pants
(Video courtesy pgatour.com)
- Driving distance 2015: 265.7 yards (56th on Champions Tour)
- Scoring average 2015: 73.32 (62nd)
- Career Champions Tour earnings: $5,828,680
- Career highlights: Owns 13 PGA Tour victories, including the 1989 Open Championship, and three Champions Tour wins.
Note: Stats through June 10
- Height: 6-foot
- Weight: 215 pounds
- Year turned pro: 1981
- Birthplace: Laurel, Neb.
- Birth date: 06/12/1960
- College: Florida
- Did you know? Calcavecchia brings some of the comforts of home with him when he travels to events. Late in the 2011 season, he purchased a motorhome that he has used to make his rounds on the Champions Tour, according to pgatour.com.