The Bee highlights 22 golfers that are scheduled to play in the 2015 U.S. Senior Open at Del Paso Country Club on June 25-28 in Sacramento.
Mark O’Meara’s family moved to California when O’Meara was 13 years old, according to pgatour.com. Coincidentally, the home was near a golf course and O’Meara soon took up the game.
California has treated him well: He’s won the Pebble Beach National Pro-Am four times (1989, ’90, ’92, ’97).
WATCH: O’Meara earns World Golf Hall of Fame induction
Never miss a local story.
(Video courtesy pgatour.com)
- Driving distance 2015: 273.8 yards (31st on Champions Tour)
- Scoring average 2015: 71.14 (22nd)
- Career Champions Tour earnings: $7,764,047
- Career highlights: Both his Champions Tour victories came in 2010. Owns 16 PGA Tour victories.
Note: Stats through June 10
- Height: 6-foot
- Weight: 195 pounds
- Year turned pro: 1980
- Birthplace: Goldsboro, N.C.
- Birth date: Jan. 13, 1957
- College: Cal State Long Beach (1980, marketing)
- Did you know? The California State Amateur was one of three amateur tournaments won by O’Meara in 1979. O’Meara’s longtime caddie, Donnie Wanstall, was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis during the 1994 Players Championship and O’Meara continues fundraising work on his behalf.