Giants at a glance
03/29/2014 4:50 PM
03/30/2014 10:08 AM
• 2013: 76-86, tied for third place in National League West
• Manager: Bruce Bochy (eighth season)
• They’re here: RHP Tim Hudson, OF Michael Morse, INF Ehire Adrianza
• They’re out of here: RHP Chad Gaudin, LHP Jose Mijares, RHP Guillermo Moscoso, OF Brett Pill, OF Andres Torres, LHP Barry Zito
• Projected lineup: CF Angel Pagan (.282, 5 home runs, 30 RBIs), 2B Marco Scutaro (.297, 2, 31, but will start season on DL) 1B Brandon Belt (.289, 17, 67), C Buster Posey (.294, 15, 72), RF Hunter Pence (.283, 27, 99, 22 SB), 3B Pablo Sandoval (.278, 14, 79), LF Michael Morse (.215, 13, 27 with Mariners and Orioles), SS Brandon Crawford (.248, 9, 43), starting pitcher spot
• Projected rotation: LH Madison Bumgarner (13-9, 2.77 ERA, 199 strikeouts), RH Matt Cain (8-10, 4.00, 158), RH Tim Hudson (8-7, 3.97, 95 with Braves), RH Tim Lincecum (10-14, 4.37, 193), RH Ryan Vogelsong (4-6, 5.73, 67)
• Key relievers: RH Sergio Romo (5-8, 2.54, 38 saves), LH Javier Lopez (4-2, 1.83), RH Santiago Casilla (7-2, 2.16, 2 saves), LH Jeremy Affeldt (1-5, 3.74)
• Outlook: Rather than rebuild after a disappointing 2013 season, the Giants re-signed their high-profile free agents and added a few complementary pieces. They’ll count on their pitching staff rebounding from a down year and the roster staying healthy following a long offseason, beginning with Pagan atop the lineup and Sandoval having the added incentive of being in a contract year. Do those things, and the Giants should contend again in the N.L. West.
– Matt Kawahara
About This BlogMatt Kawahara has covered baseball for The Sacramento Bee for three years. Kawahara, a McClatchy High School and UC Berkeley graduate, joined The Bee in 2010. Before joining Sports, he was a general assignment news reporter. Reach Kawahara at email@example.com. Twitter: @matthewkawahara.
Key linksWorld Series galleries, columns, live game blogs, scoreboard
World Series Guide: Scores, stats, matchups
Giants scores & stats
A's scores & stats
River Cats scores & stats
Join the Discussion
The Sacramento Bee is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.