Republic FC played the second half down a man and lost 2-1 to Arizona United SC on Saturday night in Peoria, Ariz., the team reported in a news release.
During first-half stoppage time, Republic FC defender Mickey Daly received a red card after pulling down an Arizona player in the box. Matt Kassel took the penalty shot, which Republic FC goalie Dominik Jakubek blocked, leaving the halftime score 1-1.
Arizona (1-1-0) scored the game winner in the 85th minute. Jonathan Top took a cross into the box and headed the ball across the goal, and a leaping Joseph Toby struck the ball past Jakubek.
Republic FC (2-2-1) scored first in the 27th minute. Rodrigo Lopez took the ball down the middle of the defense, passed to Thomas Stewart and received it back with space, allowing him to score his first goal of the season.
Arizona tied it in the 38th minute when Brandon Swartzendruber got behind the defense and scored.
Republic FC plays its home opener at 7:30 p.m. Saturday against the Harrisburg City Islanders at Hughes Stadium.
Hornets’ baseball win streak ends in shutout
• The Sacramento State baseball team had a three-game winning streak halted, falling 6-0 to visiting Utah Valley, the Hornets reported.
Danny Beddes threw a four-hitter for the Wolverines (15-22, 8-7 Western Athletic Conference).
Nathan Lukes extended his conference-leading hitting streak to 19 games, going 2 for 4 for Sac State (24-15, 12-3).
• UC Davis (16-20, 3-9 Big West Conference) lost its fourth consecutive game, 4-2 to host UC Riverside, the Aggies reported.
The Highlanders (17-18, 6-3) rallied for three sixth-inning runs with two outs.
Sac State completes 3-game softball sweep
• The Sac State softball team swept a three-game series from visiting Portland State with a 3-2 victory, the Hornets reported.
After the Vikings (7-31, 2-12 Big Sky Conference) tied the score with two runs in the sixth, Alexis Martinez singled in the tiebreaking run in the bottom half for Sac State (22-18, 10-4 Big Sky Conference). Paige Martin hit a solo homer, tripled and scored all of the Hornets’ runs, and Caitlin Brooks threw a four-hitter.
• Shelby Wisdom of Elk Grove outdueled Dana Cruse as UC Santa Barbara beat host UC Davis 1-0, the Aggies reported.
Wisdom pitched a four-hitter for the Gauchos (28-17, 8-4 Big West). Cruse threw a three-hitter for UC Davis (15-27, 4-8), allowing Arianna Palomares’ sacrifice fly in the sixth.
• Luke Vivolo shot a 4-under 68 and Matt Hansen had a 69 as UC Davis took an 18-shot lead over Cal State Fullerton after two rounds of the El Macero Classic at El Macero Country Club, the Aggies reported. Vivol was in second place at 6-under 138, one shot behind Mark Anguiano of Fullerton. Hansen was tied for third at 141. Sac State was in third place, 25 shots behind, entering today’s final round. The Hornets’ Owen Taylor (68) and Robert Parden (73) were tied for eighth at 145.
• UC Davis’ Raquel Lambdin won the university/open 800 meters at the Mount San Antonio College Relays in Walnut in a personal-best time of 2 minutes, 6.47 seconds.