Republic FC 0, Orlando City SC 0
• Performance of the match: The Republic defense – led by goalkeeper Jake Gleeson, the back line of Jack Avesyan, Mickey Daly, Nemanja Vukovic and Emrah Klimenta and defensive midfielder Ivan Mirkovic – helped Sacramento withstand Orlando City’s potent offense, led by league points leader Kevin Molino. It was the first time the USL Pro leaders (14-0-4) have been shutout in a league match this season. “I thought we did a good job of squeezing the space and working hard as a unit,” Republic FC coach Preki said.
• Save of the match: Gleeson punched away a point-blank shot from Dennis Chin in the 53rd minute and had four saves.
• Keeping the pressure on: Republic FC (10-6-3) continued to play strong despite being a man down after the 79th minute when Max Alvarez received a red card and was ejected.
• Quote: “I’m so proud of our guys,” Preki said. “They showed a lot of heart, a lot of courage against the No. 1 team in the league that is going to MLS. I’m just unhappy we didn’t get more because they deserved it.”
• Up next: Republic FC will play the Rangers of Glasgow, Scotland on Saturday 7:30 p.m. at Bonney Field in the first of three consecutive friendlies against European teams. West Bromwich Albion FC of the English Premier League will play Republic FC on Monday and Friday at Bonney.
– Bill Paterson