- Opponent: vs. Dallas Cowboys
- Time: 1:25 p.m.
- Line: Cowboys by 2
- Records: 49ers 1-2; Cowboys 2-1
- TV/radio: Ch. 40 (Joe Buck, Troy Aikman), 810, 1320
Three things to watch
SHOULDERING THE DEFENSE
Arik Armstead (Pleasant Grove High School) was the most impressive 49er during the first week of training camp and appeared to be headed for a big season. But a shoulder injury suffered early in camp prevented him from playing in one exhibition game. The injury flared up last Sunday against Seattle, limiting Armstead to 28 snaps. The 49ers need Armstead on the defensive front against the Cowboys, especially with Dallas running back Ezekiel Elliott (140 rushing yards last week vs. Chicago) a threat to break free on any carry. But will Armstead ever be at full strength if the shoulder issue isn’t addressed?
AND IN THIS CORNER …
With starting cornerback Jimmie Ward injured, the 49ers won’t say who will start in his place, but it’s safe to say it will be a player making the first start of his NFL career. Rashard Robinson may be more intriguing than Keith Reaser, the other corner under consideration. Robinson excels in press coverage, and his body is long and lean. But he struggles against the run, which may work in Reaser’s favor.
TIME TO PROVE HIMSELF
Despite his quarterback ranking 30th or worse in passer rating, completion percentage and yards per pass attempt, 49ers coach Chip Kelly seems to want to give Blaine Gabbert every chance to succeed. But for how long? With Colin Kaepernick eating his way back into fitness, Gabbert must reward Kelly’s faith, beginning with a strong outing against a middling Dallas defense.
- Out: G La’el Collins, toe; QB Tony Romo, back.
- Questionable: WR Dez Bryant, knee; T Tyron Smith, back; DE Jack Crawford, shoulder; T Doug Free, quadriceps; LB Andrew Gachkar, neck; S Jeffrey Heath, knee; LB Mark Nzeocha, Achilles’; CB Orlando Scandrick, hamstring.
- Out: CB Jimmie Ward, quadriceps.
- Questionable: TE Garrett Celek, back; TE Vance McDonald, hip.
vs. Los Angeles
Ch. 13, NFL
vs. Tampa Bay
vs. New Orleans
vs. New England
vs. N.Y. Jets
at Los Angeles