The 49ers today were awarded two compensatory selections, 132nd overall in the fourth round and 254th overall in the seventh. That gives them nine total in the upcoming draft, including at least one pick in each round.
Compensatory picks hinge on the number and quality of free agents a team adds the year prior versus the number it loses. The loss of safety Donte Whitner in free agency last year to Cleveland resulted in the fourth-round pick; running back Anthony Dixon’s acquisition by Buffalo accounts for the seventh.
So far this season, the team has lost Mike Iupati, Chris Culliver, Dan Skuta, Frank Gore and Perrish Cox in free agency and also could lose Michael Crabtree. Meanwhile, Torrey Smith, Erik Pears and Shareece Wright are the only free agents that would count against the team in the formula for determining next year’s compensatory picks.
Never miss a local story.
49ERS DRAFT PICKS
▪ 1st round, No. 15: Own pick
▪ 2nd round, No. 46: Own pick
▪ 3rd round, No. 49: Own pick
▪ 4th round: Denver’s pick (obtained in 2014 draft-day swap)
▪ 4th round, No. 132: Compensatory pick
▪ 5th round: Own pick
▪ 6th round: Own pick
▪ 7th round: Indianapolis’ pick (in trade for Cam Johnson)
▪ 7th round, No. 254: Compensatory pick
▪ Compensatory picks can’t be traded. The 49ers received an extra third rounder a year ago -- compensation for losing, among others, safety Dashon Goldon -- and used it to select guard Brandon Thomas. he is one of several candidates to take over at left guard for Mike Iupati, who joined the Cardinals in free agency.
Read Matt Barrows’ blogs and archives at www.sacbee.com/sf49ers.