Leading Off: For 49ers, road to title could be paved in ice
12/18/2013 7:43 PM
12/18/2013 7:50 PM
For 49ers, road to title could be paved in ice
Reading time, two minutes ...• If the 49ers win their final two regular-season games – vs. Atlanta on Monday and at Arizona on Dec. 29 – they’ll likely land the No. 5 seed in the NFC playoffs, as The Bee’s Matthew Barrows explained earlier this week. In that case, they could play the NFC North winner, probably either Chicago or Green Bay, on the road the first weekend of January. The weather can be a factor at Soldier Field and Lambeau Field, with freezing temperatures, snow and ice all possibilities. But playing – and winning – in those conditions would be good practice for the Super Bowl on Feb. 2 at MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, N.J.
• While watching the Kings on Tuesday, we met a big soccer fan who is enthusiastic about Sacramento’s new USL Pro team, Republic FC. He’s down $50 deposits for four season tickets and is excited about the proposed stadium at Cal Expo, and he expressed confidence that team owner Warren Smith can bring Major League Soccer here for the 2016 season. We’ll share more of his excitement when (if?) we see a facility being erected and a USL Pro schedule for 2014 that includes Sacramento.
• The second class of the Sacramento Sports Hall of Fame – football player Tedy Bruschi, swimmers Debbie Meyer and Jeff Float, baseball players Steve Sax and Leron Lee – will be inducted Jan. 25 at Thunder Valley Casino in Lincoln. They join last year’s inaugural class of Dusty Baker (baseball), Bill Cartwright (basketball), Kevin Johnson (basketball), Tony Lopez (boxing) and Summer Sanders (swimming). That’s a star-studded group, but we’d be more eager to attend a Sacramento Hall of Fame event if it was in, well, Sacramento.
– Tom Couzens
Where would you
prefer the 49ers play
in an NFC opener ?• Chicago
• Green Bay
To vote, go to
What do you think of
the 49ers’ offense ?
• It’s the perfect balance of passing, running: 19%• There’s not enough passing: 18%
• There’s not enough running: 4%
• They need to adjust based on the opponent: 59%
Total votes: 170
About This BlogMatt Barrows was born in Blacksburg, Va., and attended the University of Virginia. He graduated in 1995, went to Northwestern for a journalism degree a year later, and got his first job at a South Carolina daily in 1997. He joined The Sacramento Bee as a Metro reporter in 1999 and started covering the San Francisco 49ers in 2003. His favorite player of all time is Darrell Green. Reach Barrows at email@example.com.
Key linksSchedules, scores, stats
Pro Football Focus
Monday Morning Quarterback / Sports Illustrated
Los Angeles Times NFL
RotoWorld / NBC Sports
Join the Discussion
The Sacramento Bee is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.