CARLOS HYDE• Selected: 57th (second round)
• College: Ohio State
• Position: Running back
• Height, weight: 6-0, 230
• Comment: With Frank Gore turning 31 next week and entering the final year of his contract, the 49ers need an every-down workhorse for the future. Hyde is bigger than Gore but says he runs similarly to the 49ers’ all-time leading rusher.
MARCUS MARTIN• Selected: 70th (third round)
• College: USC
• Position: Center-guard
• Height, weight: 6-3, 320
• Comment: Jonathan Goodwin, the team’s longtime center, was not re-signed. Martin was a three-year starter at USC, and he’ll compete with Daniel Kilgore to be the center this season. Both players are future candidates at guard if Mike Iupati exits in free agency next year.
CHRIS BORLAND• Selected: 77th (third round)
• College: Wisconsin
• Position: Inside linebacker
• Height, weight: 5-11, 248
• Comment: Borland was incredibly productive at Wisconsin, finishing with more than 100 tackles the last three seasons he played and forcing 15 fumbles over his career. With NaVorro Bowman likely still recovering from an ACL tear at the beginning of the season, Borland will compete with Michael Wilhoite andNick Moody for a starting spot.
BRANDON THOMAS• Selected: 100th (third round)
• College: Clemson
• Position: Guard-tackle
• Height, weight: 6-3, 317
• Comment: For the second year in a row, the 49ers drafted a player with a recent ACL injury. Thomas tore his during a predraft workout with the Saints and only is a few weeks removed from surgery. He is unlikely to play this year but could compete at guard next year.
– Matthew Barrows