▪ Opponent: at St. Louis
▪ Time: 5:30 p.m.
▪ Line: 49ers by 3
▪ Records: 49ers 3-2,
Never miss a local story.
▪ TV/radio: ESPN (Mike Tirico, Jon Gruden), 680, 1320
FIVE 49ERS TO WATCH
RB FRANK GORE
The veteran running back has had back-to-back 100-plus-yard rushing performances for the first time since 2011. Gore’s most productive outing last year – 153 yards – came against the Rams in St. Louis.
OT JOE STALEY
With 49ers linebacker Aldon Smith suspended, the title of “best pass rusher in the NFC” went to the Rams’ Robert Quinn, who will face Staley today. Last year in St. Louis, Staley had one of his best games of the season while Quinn, who had 19 sacks last season, had his worst. Quinn has no sacks through four games.
S ERIC REID
The competent second-year safety has been under-the-radar this season, which is exactly what coaches want from a free safety. Reid will be tested by Rams quarterback Austin Davis, who has good touch on deep passes, and receiver Brian Quick, who averages 15.3 yards a catch.
OLB AHMAD BROOKS
When Smith was suspended, Brooks became the team’s best pass-rush option. But he has only one sack through five games. Brooks must increase his intensity level, especially with opponents giving him more attention with Smith out.
S RAY VENTRONE
Ventrone was brought back to help shore up the coverage units, which have been porous against opposing punt returners. His duties also will include protecting punter Andy Lee, who had one punt blocked and has had near misses on others.
▪ Out: CB Tramaine Brock (toe)
▪ Questionable: T Anthony Davis (knee), TE Vernon Davis (back), C Marcus Martin (knee), LB Nick Moody (hamstring)
▪ Probable: CB Chris Cook (quadricep), DE Tony Jerod-Eddie (shoulder), P Andy Lee (right ankle), DE Ray McDonald (knee), DE Justin Smith (not injury related), DT Ian Williams (ankle)
▪ Out: CB Trumaine Johnson (knee), CB Brandon McGee (foot)
▪ Questionable: DT Alex Carrington (knee), LB Jo-Lonn Dunbar (groin), C Barrett Jones (back), RB Chase Reynolds (hip)
▪ Probable: WR Kenny Britt (knee), DE Eugene Sims (groin), RB Zachary Stacy (calf)
vs. Kansas City
at St. Louis
vs. St. Louis
at New Orleans
at N.Y. Giants
vs. San Diego