▪ Opponent: at Denver
▪ Time: 5:30 p.m.
▪ Line: Broncos by 61/2
Never miss a local story.
▪ Records: 49ers 4-2, Broncos 4-1
▪ TV/radio: Ch. 3 (Al Michaels, Cris Collinsworth), 680, 1320
FIVE 49ERS TO WATCH
LB CHRIS BORLAND
The rookie’s first NFL start will be against a quarterback known for dissecting defenses at the line of scrimmage and finding favorable matchups. Peyton Manning will be looking for situations in which the 5-foot-11 Borland is covering his tight ends, one of whom – 6-5 Julius Thomas – has nine touchdown catches this season.
CB PERRISH COX
Cox figures to be in the role Carlos Rogers was in the last three seasons – playing outside cornerback on base downs and moving inside to the nickel spot when the Broncos bring in three or more receivers. As with Borland, Manning will be looking for mismatches, including when Wes Welker is matched against Cox in the slot.
WR BRANDON LLOYD
In Lloyd, the 49ers suddenly have a deep threat at wide receiver, something they’ve been without the last decade or so. Lloyd has made important downfield catches in each of the last two games. He’d love to make it three in a row against his former team.
T ANTHONY DAVIS
The 49ers are keeping Davis’ availability hush-hush, but he practiced throughout the week and seems ready to return to his right tackle spot. If he does, at times he’ll face Denver’s Von Miller, whose combination of speed, balance and tenacity have made him one of the premier sack artists in the league.
K PHIL DAWSON
Dawson, who last year set a franchise record with 27 straight field goals, has kicked 10 straight entering today’s game. Every kicker looks forward to Denver’s thin mountain air and the prospect of setting a record for longest kick. Dawson is capable of the feat.
▪ Out: G Mike Iupati (concussion), LB Patrick Willis (toe)
▪ Questionable: CB Tramaine Brock (toe), CB Chris Culliver (shoulder), T Anthony Davis (knee, ankle), S Jimmie Ward (quadriceps)
▪ Probable: CB Chris Cook (quadriceps), CB Perrish Cox (quadriceps), TE Vernon Davis (back), DE Tony Jerod-Eddie (shoulder), WR Stevie Johnson (hip), DE Justin Smith (not injury related), DT Ian Williams (ankle, shoulder)
▪ Out: RB Montee Ball (groin)
▪ Probable: CB Omar Bolden (groin), S David Bruton (ankle), CB Chris Harris (knee), K Brandon McManus (right groin), LB Corey Nelson (hamstring), RB Juwan Thompson (knee)
vs. Kansas City
at St. Louis
vs. St. Louis
at New Orleans
at N.Y. Giants
vs. San Diego