▪ Opponent: vs. Arizona Cardinals
▪ Time: 1:25 p.m.
▪ Line: 49ers by 4
Never miss a local story.
▪ Records: 49ers 7-8, Cardinals 11-4
▪ TV/Radio: FOX40 (Thom Brennaman, David Diehl), 680, 1320
FIVE PLAYERS TO WATCH
RB FRANK GORE
The 49ers want Gore back next season and he wants to return. In between lie all the details – Gore’s role, how much he would earn, how many years on the contract – that must be ironed out. That means there’s still at least some chance this is his last game in a 49ers uniform. He needs 38 yards today to reach 1,000 for the eighth time in his career.
TE VERNON DAVIS
He has no catches in his last two games and only two receptions beyond 20 yards this year. That’s not good enough for someone who will count more than $7 million against the 49ers’ salary cap next year. Davis needs to prove he is worth keeping around, because the 49ers are trying to figure out whether he has a future on the team.
DE JUSTIN SMITH
Defensive coordinator Vic Fangio said he’ll fly to Missouri in the offseason if that’s what it takes to convince Smith to return for a 15th season. Smith has been the bedrock of the team’s defense since 2008 and a big reason linebackers Patrick Willis, NaVorro Bowman and Aldon Smith have shined so brightly. This could be his final game.
DL QUINTON DIAL
The second-year defensive lineman seems to get a little better every game, and he’s becoming a favorite to take over at left defensive end – Ray McDonald’s previous position – next year. Another solid game will propel him a little farther in that direction.
PR TRINDON HOLLIDAY
Consider this a one-game audition for Holliday, who is only 5-foot-5 but who was electric as a returner at LSU. The 49ers’ punt-return game is 27th in the league and could use a jolt next season. Holliday gets a chance to show he should at least compete for that role.
▪ Out: RB Carlos Hyde (ankle), WR Stevie Johnson (knee), S Eric Reid (concussion)
▪ Questionable: CB Tramaine Brock (hamstring), LB Ahmad Brooks (thumb), CB Perrish Cox (shoulder), WR Bruce Ellington (hamstring)
▪ Probable: WR Michael Crabtree (knee), CB Chris Culliver (knee), WR Brandon Lloyd (groin), C Marcus Martin (illness), DE Justin Smith (back)
▪ Out: QB Drew Stanton (knee)
▪ Questionable: S Deone Bucannon (knee), TE John Carlson (calf), G Jonathan Cooper (wrist), DT Dan Williams (foot)
▪ Probable: LB Lorenzo Alexander (knee), WR Jaron Brown (foot), DE Calais Campbell (hip), WR Larry Fitzgerald (knee), S Rashad Johnson (ankle), G Ted Larsen (shoulder), S Tyrann Mathieu (thumb), LB Matt Shaughnessy (shoulder)
vs. Kansas City
at St. Louis
vs. St. Louis
at New Orleans
W, 27-24 (OT)
at N.Y. Giants
vs. San Diego
L, 38-35 (OT)