10 pressing questions in the world of sports
▪ DeMarcus Cousins is among the NBA leaders in scoring (seventh) and rebounding (third), so is there any debate about his qualifications for the NBA All-Star Game?
▪ If a winning record is a prerequisite for the All-Star Game, as some suggest, why were Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh of the 20-26 Miami Heat added as Eastern Conference reserves?
▪ The Mavericks are 31-17, so isn’t at least one player – Monta Ellis or Dirk Nowitzki – All-Star-worthy?
Never miss a local story.
▪ The Spurs’ Tim Duncan made the West roster as a reserve, but is the Big Fundamental still one of the 12 best players in the conference?
▪ If the Patriots’ Tom Brady wins his fourth Super Bowl ring, will that make him the best quarterback of his generation?
▪ In his first three seasons, the Seahawks’ Russell Wilson could have two Super Bowl rings, so why doesn’t he get mentioned more often as one of the NFL’s best young quarterbacks?
▪ If the Seahawks’ Marshawn Lynch wins the MVP award Sunday, will he have something interesting to say?
▪ With owners of the Kings and 49ers making investments in Republic FC, what’s Major League Soccer’s holdup?
▪ The 49ers had one of the best coaching staffs in the NFL, so can someone explain what the heck is going on?
▪ If the Sacramento State men’s basketball team wins the Big Sky regular-season title, will you drive to Stockton or Reno to watch the conference tournament?
– Tom Couzens
What to watch
Men’s college basketball, Cal Poly at UC Davis,
7 p.m., ESPNU: The Aggies are in a three-way tie for first place in the Big West Conference.
What to do
Men’s college basketball, Montana at Sacramento State, 7:05 p.m., the Nest: The top two teams in the Big Sky Conference square off.
@PortlandPolice: “We have to open a robbery investigation into how @Dame_Lillard of our @trailblazers was left off the #NBAAllStarNYC roster. #VoteLillard”
On this date
2006: Kobe Bryant scores 40 points in the Lakers’ 130-97 victory over the Knicks and finishes January with a 43.4 average in 13 games.