Number of sites found in Contra Costa County:16

Click a listed location to see the sites there. Or click here to see the entire list. Or return to the main page.

Sites:

NameAcresLocatedDescription
Mayberry Slough Mooring Area3.66AntiochOn 10 June 1946, the U.S. Government acquired 0.771 license acre and 2.89 lease acres. The site was used as an Army Surplus area. On 31 December 1953, 0.771 license acre and one lease of 0.57 acre was terminated. On 18 January 1954, the other lease of 2.32 acres was terminated. Based on the foregoing, the site has been determined to be formerly used by the DOD and is eligible for the Defense Environmental Restoration Program for Formerly Used Defense Sites, established under 10 U.S.C. 2701 et seq.
Antioch Bombing TargetAntiochN/A
Byron Hot Springs Interrogation Center215.07ByronIn March 1943, the War Department leased 209.27 acres from WDG Investment Company, 5.80 acres from a private owner and acquired a "no area" easement from PG&E. The total acreage acquired was 215.07. The site was used by the Army as an interrogation center during World War II. The 209.27 leased acres were terminated on 31 May 1947 for which restoration was paid. The 5.80 leased acres terminated on 13 January 1946; records do not indicate if restoration was required. On 2 February 1948, the United States quitclaimed the no area easement to WDGIC. The site is currently being used as privately-owned residential property. The former fire station is being used for parking and storage and the barracks are abandoned and unused. Based on the foregoing, the site has been determined to be formerly used by the Department of Defense (DoD) and is eligible for the Defense Environmental Restoration Program for Formerly Used Defense Sites, established under 10 U.S.C. 2701 et seq.
Concord Naval Weapons Stations7627.00ConcordBetween 1941 and 1963, the U.S. acquired 7,621.1636 fee acres, 2.77 easement acres, 1.39 permit acres, 0.60 license acres, and 1.08 consent agreement acres by purchase and condemnation totalling 7,627.0036 acres. In 1954, 4.98 fee acres were disposed of to A. Granzotto and in 1967, 40.306 acres were quitclaimed to the City of Concord. The Navy used the site as a weapons station. Based on the foregoing, the 45.286 acres returned to private and city control have been determined to be formerly used by the DOD and is eligible for the Defense Environmental Restoration Program for Formerly Used Defense Sites established under 10 U.S.C. 2701 et seq.
Concord Army AirfieldConcord
San Francisco Nike Battery 2589.44OaklandBetween 1955 and 1959, 39.76 fee acres, 6.99 license acres, and 34.25 easement acres were acquired from private owners and 8.44 lease acres were acquired from the East Bay Municipal Utility District. The site was used by the Department of the Army for defense agains high-flying enemy aircraft and guided missiles. The site was reported excess to GSA on 10 August 1964. On 5 February 1962, the Army transferred 8.44 lease acres and 2.31 license acres to the Air Force. On 1 July 1964, 23.49 fee acres were transferred to MB Associates by Quitclaim Deed. On 1 October 1964, 2 Quitclaim Deeds convey 34.25 acres to private parties. On 23 June 1965, 16.27 fee acres and 4.68 license acres are conveyed to Contra Costa County by Quitclaim Deed. Based on the foregoing, the site has been determined to be formerly used by the DOD and is eligible for the Defense Environmental Restoration Program for Formerly Used Defense Sites, established under 10 U.S.C. 2701 et seq.
Pacific Ordnance Steel FoundryPittsburg
Camp Stoneman2841.54Pittsburg
Bulk Fuel Storage FacilityPoint Molate
Port Chicago Naval Magazine4764.93Port ChicagoBetween 1967 and 1975, the United States (U.S.) acquired 4,764.93 fee acres by purchase and condemnation. The site was used by the Navy to load magazines onto ships as an off-site component to Concord Naval Weapons Station. In 1972, 15.00 fee acres were reported excess to General Services Administration ans are now leased and used for agriculture land and cattle grazing. Based on the foregoing, the 15.00 acre site has been determined to be formerly used by the DOD and is eligible for the Defense Environmental Restoration Program for Formerly Used Defense Sites established under 10 U.S.C. 2701 et seq.
Richmond Radio Beacon Annex Military Reservation1.00RichmondOn 14 January 1959, the U.S. acquired 1 acre by lease from Standard Oil of California. The site was used by the U.S. Air Force, Hamilton AFB, as a radio beacon station. On 30 June 1962, the lease was terminated. Based on the foregoing, the site has been determined to be formerly used by the DOD and is eligible for the Defense Environemental Restoration Program for Formerly Used Defense Sites, established under 10 U.S.C. 2701 et seq.
San Francisco Nike Battery 08-09Richmond
Richmond Tank Depot0.03Richmond
Parr Richmond Terminal No. 16.54RichmondOn 19 April 1943, the U.S. Government acquired two non-area licenses and 6.54 lease-acres. The site was known as Parr Richmond Terminal and Parr-Richmond Terminal Military Reservation, California and is currently located in Contra Costa County, 14 miles northeast of San Francisco, California. The site was used as a storage and warehousefacility for the San Francisco Port of Embarkation. The two licenses were terminated between January 1946 and January 1947. The improvements went to the licensor in lieu of restoration. On 10 November 1945, 6.54 lease-acres were terminated. Records do not indicate if restoration was required for the leased area. Based on the foregoing findings of fact, the site has been determined to be formerly used by the Department of Defense (DoD). Therefore, it is eligible for the Defense Restoration Program for Formerly Used Defense Sites, established under 10 U.S.C. 2701 et seq.
Poc Point MolateRichmondThe site was excessed in 1995 by the Department of the Navy and is currently being restored under the Base Realignment and Closure Program. It is therefore ineligible for the Defense Environmental Restoration Program-Formerly Used Defense Sites.
Contra Costa Dive Bomb TargetTbd