Lots of quick throws in the afternoon practice. The defense was testing out all of its third-and-short blitz packages while the offense, mostly operating out of the shotgun, was doing its best to take advantage of the blitz. Alex Smith again ran the first string. Shaun Hill looked sharper. He was 7 of 9 on his attempts while Smith was 8 of 14. Here are Smith's attempts:
- Off target to tight end Joe John Finley on the sideline. 0-1
- Over the middle to Finley for five yards. 1-2.
- No one open, outlet pass to Frank Gore. 2-3.
- Nice 15 yarder on the left sideline to Josh Morgan. 3-4.
- Quick pass to Vernon Davis in the middle of the field. Safety Mark Roman breaks on the ball but is not fast enough. 4-5.
- Bad snap. Smith's pass knocked down. 4-6.
- Pass batted down by blitzing Dashon Goldson. 4-7.
- Pass to Gore in the grass too low. 4-8.
- Quick out to Brandon Jones for 6 yards. 5-9.
- Quick toss tipped at the line of scrimmage. 5-10.
- Screen pass to Micheal Spurlock. 6-11.
- Shovel pass to Gore. Would have been a big gain if he hadn't run into pulling Adam Snyder. 7-12.
- Quick screen to Morgan, but the receiver can't handle it. 7-13.
- Fake reverse shovel to Gore. (Who says Jimmy Raye is boring?) 8-14.
After left guard David Baas went down with a foot injury in the morning practice, right guard Chilo Rachal had to be carted off immediately following the afternoon session. He was complaining of a headache and had a wet towel wrapped over his head. You can draw your own conclusions but Rachal is being checked out in the training room.
Kentwan Balmer, who suffered a left knee sprain this morning, took part in individual drills in the afternoon. He was held out of the team session, however. Aubrayo Franklin, Takeo Spikes and Marvel Smith were given the afternoon off. Isaac Sopoaga filled in for Franklin at nose tackle. Khalif Mitchell was the second-team nose tackle.
-- Matt Barrows