Scot McCloughan's agent says the 49ers general manager has no plans to step down from his post. "Scot McCloughan is not resigning as general manger of the San Francisco 49ers," Peter Schaffer said in a brief telephone conversation. Schaffer said he had spoken to McCloughan five minutes earlier.
News of a possible resignation was reported earlier this evening by the Santa Rosa Press Democrat, which, citing sources, reported that McCloughan, 39, was considering stepping down from his position. According to the report, McCloughan met with top 49ers officials Wednesday afternoon, including president and CEO Jed York and Paraag Marathe, the team's vice president of football operations. The report goes on to say that McCloughan left the facility this afternoon and files were relocated from his office. It is not exactly known what prompted the meeting, but it is not believed to be related to McCloughan's ability to evaluate talent. The 49ers have not responded to multiple inquiries.
If McCloughan were to step down - or more likely, if he were forced out - the 49ers would be without their top football decision maker five weeks before an NFL draft in which they have two first-round picks. The top candidates to succeed him would be Trent Baalke, the director of player personnel and Tom Gamble, the director of pro personnel. Marathe, who has handled player contracts in recent years, would be a candidate to run the business side of the operation.
McCloughan was hired by then-head coach Mike Nolan in 2005 as vice president of player personnel. He was promoted to general manager in January 2008. In his media guide bio, Jed York describes McCloughan as "just the man we need guiding the personnel decisions of this franchise. He's a cool customer who handles pressure situations well. His pedigree is that of a true football man. Scot has been an integral part of championship teams in the past, and we are confident that he will be a part of another one here with the 49ers in the near future."
-- Matt Barrows