From: Administrator, Mail@EDD
Sent: Thursday, February 04, 2010 3:57 PM
To: UIB Exchange Users
Subject: A MESSAGE FROM THE CHIEF DEPUTY DIRECTOR
UI Staff rise to occasion as claims hit record high
Dear UI Colleagues:
Last year was a year of unprecedented workloads and amazing achievements for the staff of the Unemployment Insurance (UI) Branch. It was one of the most dynamic years in my 30-year career at EDD, and even more demanding for those of you on the frontlines. I congratulate all of you for rising to the occasion and overcoming historic challenges in this deepest recession since the Great Depression.
Beyond its very obvious challenges, 2009 also presented us with less visible but personally rewarding experiences. I want you each to know that, as a member of the UI staff, YOU are making a significant difference in the lives of Californians who have been hard hit by the recession. Providing service over the phone, filing initial claims, authorizing benefit payments, conducting determination interviews, processing claims, responding to EDDCOMM messages, handling recomputations – you are performing most valuable and essential services.
In 2009, thousands of UI employees, with the support and assistance of employees in other EDD branches, worked together to shatter all previous UI production records. While the following numbers are impressive, what’s most important to remember is that these numbers represent millions of Californians – individuals and families – who could not have survived financially without the help of UI benefits!
· 6.5 million Initial Claims - nearly double the number for 2008, 2 1/2 times the number for 2007, and far exceeding any other year.
· $20.2 billion in Benefit Payments - far surpassing the record of $8.1 billion in 2008.
· 2 million Determination Interviews - about 20% more than in 2008.
· 2.9 million eApplys processed - a 46% increase over 2008 figures.
· 1.8 million EDDComms processed - a 700% increase over 2008 figures!
· 67.8 million weeks claimed (including extensions) - more than double the 31 million weeks claimed in 2008.
· 35.7 million benefit checks issued (including extensions) - about 20 million more than in 2008.
· 495,058 recomputations processed - close to double the load in 2008.
· 214,223 Identity-related claims processed - similar to last year’s numbers, but this is a significant workload that we have continued to process timely.
Adding to these accomplishments is the fact that while responding to a historic demand for our services, UI recorded another remarkable achievement in 2009 with the addition of more than 1,000 new employees to handle the record workload, increasing the staff by more than 40%. UI managed to train these new employees and supervisors, integrate them into its operations, and modify many offices to accommodate the new staff members.
Every one of you should be incredibly proud of these truly amazing accomplishments. As an EDD employee, as your co-worker, and as the Chief Deputy Director of this great Department, I wish to extend my personal and heartfelt appreciation to each of you, and to commend you for truly “Making a Difference” for millions of our neighbors in these trying times.
Chief Deputy Director