Now the fidget spinner craze enters the inevitable next phase – reports of injuries and other mayhem linked to the fad.
The gadgets are just palm-size spinning devices with multiple prongs, but they’re all the rage among young people. Despite claims they are helpful for people with attention disorders, experts warn they are not a proven treatment. Some schools have banned the spinners as a distraction or choking hazard.
Now actress Ayoola Smart says she’s had to bow out of an Irish stage play after a freak fidget spinner injury. In an Instagram post, Smart says she was forced to drop out of “Futureproof” after a child’s spinner struck her.
Digital Access for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
Smart, 22, who is based in London, tells the Irish Examiner that a fidget spinner gone awry struck her behind the ear in a shop, causing a concussion requiring up to two weeks of bed rest.
A Michigan woman, meanwhile, says her fidget spinner caught fire while charging a Bluetooth gadget allowing the spinner to connect to smartphones to play music. Michelle Carr, of Fenton, Mich., tells TV station 25News that she had hooked the spinner to a baby monitor charger because it had no charging instructions.