Don’t toss that tree – make some mulch!
Here’s some extra incentive to take down the Christmas tree. Today, the Sacramento Municipal Utility District and other waste-minded entities will accept trees that will be recycled free into mulch.
At most locations, recyclers may drop off as many as five trees per vehicle. Make sure all tinsel, lights, ornaments, tree stand and nails are removed. Flocked trees are OK.
Still procrastinating? Some sites will accept trees Sunday, too. Two sites will be open all month.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to The Sacramento Bee
Here’s a list of places to drop off your trees with hours that donations will be accepted:
• SMUD Corporation Yard, 6100 Folsom Blvd., Sacramento; 8:30 a.m.-3:30 p.m. today.
• Elder Creek Recovery and Transfer Station, 8642 Elder Creek Road, 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. today; 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday, and 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturdays through Jan. 31.
• Kiefer Landfill, 12701 Kiefer Blvd., 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. today and Sunday.
• North Area Recovery Station, 4450 Roseville Road, 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. today and Sunday.
• Sacramento Recycling and Transfer Station, 8491 Fruitridge Road, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. today; then 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Saturday through Jan. 31.
• Dan Russell Rodeo Arena at Folsom City Park, end of Stafford Street in Folsom, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. today and Sunday.
Got a lot of trees? Loads of more than five will be accepted at the Elder Creek Recovery Station, Kiefer Landfill, North Area Recovery Station and the Dan Russell Rodeo Arena.
– Debbie Arrington