Experts tackle readers’ garden questions.
Q: Where can I get a master gardener calendar?
J. Edwards, Sacramento
Bee garden writer Debbie Arrington: It’s that time of year again when local master gardeners representing the University of California Cooperative Extension publish their annual calendars and gardening guides.
These popular publications are much more than dates and pretty pictures. They offer detailed gardening information, designed for our communities. Proceeds from calendar sales help support master gardener programs including Sacramento’s annual Harvest Day at the Fair Oaks Horticulture Center and Placer County’s Garden Faire.
The UC Master Gardeners of Placer County celebrate the 25th anniversary of their award-winning gardening guide with the 2017 edition, themed “Healthy Habitats for People, Plants and Pollinators.” The 13-month calendar is packed with tips and articles on how to attract pollinators, create habitat and grow native plants.
New plant recommendations feature more drought-tolerant and native selections, geared toward water-wise gardening. Daily gardening reminders and month-by-month planting guides make this calendar very useful for foothill gardeners in Placer, Nevada and El Dorado counties.
Priced at $10, the Placer County calendar is available at the Auburn Farmers’ Market on Oct. 15; the Farmers’ Market at the Fountains in Roseville each Tuesday in October; and the Mountain Mandarin Festival, Nov. 18-20. Several Placer County nurseries and garden-related businesses also offer the calendars.
Online, the Placer County calendar is available at http://pcmg.ucanr.org/.
For Sacramento gardeners, the Sacramento County master gardeners expanded their 2017 calendar with a 10-page gardening guide dedicated to growing healthy food and ornamental plants. The tips and planting schedules are geared toward gardening in the Valley with its warmer temperatures. Like the Placer County version, this calendar and guide also makes a great gift.
Priced at $10 including tax, the Sacramento County calendar is available online at http://sacmg.ucanr.edu. It’s also available at several Sacramento area locations (although prices may vary). Find it at Green Acres Nursery & Supply stores in Sacramento, Folsom and Elk Grove, Fairs Oaks Boulevard Nursery, Emigh Hardware, The Gifted Gardener, Plant Foundry, POW Nursery and Talini’s Nursery.
Placer and Sacramento calendars can be found at several fall and winter gardening events hosted by the master gardeners. Check out their websites for more details.
Call The Bee’s Debbie Arrington, 916-321-1075. Follow her on Twitter @debarrington.
Questions are answered by master gardeners at the UC Cooperative Extension services in Sacramento and Placer counties. Send questions to Garden Detective, P.O. Box 15779, Sacramento, CA 95852. Send email to email@example.com. Please put “Garden Detective” in the subject field and include your postal address. To contact UC Extension directly, call:
- Sacramento: 916-875-6913; 9 a.m.-noon and 1-4 p.m. Monday-Thursday
- Amador: 209-223-6838; 10 a.m.-noon Monday-Thursday; website: ceamador.ucdavis.edu
- Butte: 530-538-7201; 8 a.m.-noon and 1-5 p.m. weekdays
- Colusa: 530-458-0570; 9 a.m.-noon and 1-4 p.m. Tuesdays; website: cecolusa.ucanr.edu
- El Dorado: 530-621-5512; 9 a.m.-noon Tuesday-Friday
- Placer: 530-889-7388; 9 a.m.-noon Tuesday-Thursday or leave a message and calls will be returned; website: pcmg.ucanr.org/got_questions
- Nevada: 530-273-0919; 9 a.m.-noon Tuesday-Thursday or leave a message
- Shasta, Tehama, Trinity: 530-242-2219; email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Solano: 707-784-1322; leave a message and calls will be returned
- Sutter, Yuba: 530-822-7515; 9 a.m.-noon Monday-Tuesday and 1-4 p.m. Thursdays
- Yolo: 530-666-8737; 9-11 a.m. Tuesdays and Fridays, or leave a message and calls will be returned