Pets

Some advice on dog-friendly gardening

As the spring season begins, many people will soon start tending to their gardens. While we love our gardens, parts of them can actually be dangerous to our four-legged friends.

To help keep your garden dog-friendly this spring, the American Kennel Club offers the following advice:

– Beware of spring allergies. Blooming plants, grasses and flowers can trigger seasonal allergies in dogs. Bulb plants such as tulips, daffodils and crocus can be extremely toxic if ingested. Other common plants such as sago palm and oleander are also poisonous to dogs. If you see any signs of allergies, you should take your dog to the veterinarian as soon as possible.

– Beware of growing plants. Dogs can become extremely ill or even die from eating poisonous plants or flowers. To help prevent your dog from eating plants, don't garden with him present. Otherwise, he may conclude that playing with plants and digging are acceptable activities. If any lawns you encounter have been treated with fertilizers, herbicides or insecticides, don't let your dog walk on them until these toxic treatments have dried completely.

– Be careful with pesticides. Pesticides can be hazardous to your pup. Do not use pesticides that include metaldehyde or methomyl, used for snail and fly bait. Follow the directions on the product carefully and be sure to store items in a place that your dog cannot reach.

– Designate a play area. Give your pup a designated play area outdoors that is away from your garden. This will be a space where your dog can run around and burn some energy or even safely do some digging.

For more tips on dog ownership, visit the AKC at www.akc.org.

  Comments