• “Anatomy for Runners,” by Jay Dicharry
$13; Skyhorse Publishing; 309 pages
One recent study reported that 82 percent of runners get injured at some point in a given year. You could blame training mistakes. But Jay Dicharry, a biomechanics expert at the University of Virginia, blames it on poor running mechanics. If you employ his methods, you might just find yourself among the 18 percent noninjured out there.
Premium content for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
• Small Foot Inflatable Snowshoes
The bad thing about snowshoes is the bulk when they aren’t strapped on your feet. What if you could shrink them to tuck away in your backpack? Well, the Bulgarian snow sport manufacture Small Feet has introduced its line of inflatable snowshoes.They’re said to be durable enough not to puncture on exposed branches or sharp rocks.
• Does Travel Broaden the Mind?
This academic study published in the journal Social Psychological & Personality Science proves Mark Twain’s quote to be true: “Travel is fatal to prejudice.” World travelers tend to be more trusting and have greater empathy. I’m trusting you didn’t need a study to know that.
• “10 Most Luxurious Airport Lounges”
Blogger Leah DeAngelis provides 10 airport lounges you wouldn’t mind being stuck in:
1. Singapore Airlines SilverKris Lounge, Singapore Changi International Airport
2. British Airways Concorde Room, London Heathrow Airport:
3. Air France La Premiere Lounge, Charles de Gaulle Airport, Paris
4. Swiss Lounge EuroAirport Basel Mulhouse, Freiburg
5. Star Alliance Lounge, Los Angeles, Tom Bradley International Terminal
6. Qantas First Lounge, Sydney
7. Virgin Atlantic JFK Clubhouse, JFK International Airport, New York
8. Finnair Lounge, Helsinki Airport, Finland
9. Etihad’s Diamond First Class Lounge, Abu Dhabi International Airport, United Arab Emirates
10. Lufthansa First Class Lounge, Frankfurt
Spencer Hall (@ edsbs): “Dude next to me on this plane smells like pure Fritos. Not bad, actually.”
– Compiled by Sam McManis, email@example.com