• Energizer High Performance Headlight
You don’t usually think of Energizer as your go-to night headlamp option – except for the triple-A batteries, of course – but the company’s new high-performance light shines as brightly as competitors such as Petzl and Black Diamond. It can run four hours on the brightest of the four settings (200 lumens). Even just using the flood white on low is enough to illuminate a predawn run on the street. We used the spotlight option on the trail, and it worked well, too.
Digital Access for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
• Snakebite First Aid on the Trail
Soon, warmer weather will hit, which brings the rattlesnakes out to sun themselves on our trails. This multiple-choice quiz tells you all you need to know how to avoid bites and what to do should you be bitten. Some of it is counter-intuitive, but it could save your life. It almost makes you want to buy a whistle, since running or hiking alone means you can’t send someone for help when bitten in a remote area without cellphone reception.
• Kuni Comfort Pillow
Apparently, the traditional U-shaped pillow for airline passengers is passé. The latest trend are puffy balls that resemble barbells and can be manipulated at various angles for the necks of travelers. The difference from traditional travel pillows is that there’s no bulky material gathered at the back of the neck. It comes in three styles, including “faux fur.”
• “11 of the World’s Best Places to Eat Oysters”
This luxury blog travels the globe to suss out the best oysters — and finds none worthy in California:
1. Delta de l’Ebre, Catalonia, Spain
2. Moran’s Oyster Cottage, Galway, Ireland
3. Strangford Lough, Northern Ireland
4. Huiterie Regis, Paris, France
5. Le Coquillage, Les Maisons de Court, Brittany, France
6. Bentley’s Oyster Bar & Grill, London, England
7. Lochleven Seafood Café, Inverness Shire, Scotland
8. Xinh’s Clam & Oyster House, Washington
9. Elliott’s Oyster House, Seattle
10. Casamento’s Restaurant, New Orleans
11. Ponta Dos Ganchos Resort, Santa Catarina, Brazil
Sara Hanna (@saree927): “One of the more embarrassing moments of my life – threw up in the aisle of the plane and then was given soap and towels to clean it up. Yep.#travelfail”
— Compiled by Sam McManis, email@example.com