• Scrubba Washbag
You’re on the road, and you spill spaghetti sauce on your best dress shirt? Well, you could fill the sink of your motel bathroom and go elbow-deep to rub out the stain. Or, say, you’re camping out and your smelly socks are offending even the bears? Find a stream, right? Well, here’s an alternative, a bag featuring “scrubba nodules” (love that phrase) that works as a mini-washing machine. Unfurl the bag, fill with water, place the garment inside, “rub and rinse” and then hang to dry.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to The Sacramento Bee
• MSR Hubba Hubba NX tent
Outside magazine recently named this the top tent for 2014 in its annual “Gear” roundup. It fits two people, is extremely lightweight at 3 pounds, 7 ounces, has a non-tapered floor to maximize space, and no-headache adjustable stakes. It even has built-in rain gutters. Heck, it’s better outfitted than my house. As Outside magazine gushed, “The Hubba Hubba tolerated three weeks of abuse without a scratch.”
• Treating Campfire Cooking Burns
Backpacker magazine asked Anna Gast, a Wilderness Medicine Institute instructor, what to do if boiling water sloshes onto you around the campfire. Her advice, in part: “Use snow or water to chill it until it feels cool to the victim. If you act fast, you can prevent deeper tissue damage.”
• “10 American Tourist Traps We Love Anyway”
Erin Ruberry of the Huffington Post weighs in, but, alas, fails to mention any of the Drive-Thru redwood trees in Northern California:
1. Cadillac Ranch, Potter Valley, Texas
2. Cedar Point roller coaster, Sandusky, Ohio
3. Dollywood, Pigeon Forge, Tenn.
4. Four Corners (Arizona, New Mexico, Utah and Colorado)
5. London Bridge, Lake Havasu, Ariz.
6. Mall of America, Bloomington, Minn.
7. Mount Rushmore, S.D.
8. Old Trail Town, Cody, Wyo.
9. Sleepy Hollow, Tarrytown, N.Y.
10. Weeki Wachee Springs State Park, Spring Hill, Fla.
Bethany Perkins (@pogoglamcore): “Someone pooped on a seat and our flight’s delayed by an hour because they can’t find a replacement cushion. #AmericanAirlines #travelfail”
– Compiled by Sam McManis, email@example.com