So how many times have Sacramento-area restaurants enjoyed the spotlight on national TV programs?
At leat eight, according to website TVFoodMaps, which launched in late 2010 to “help people find and and eat at the restaurants they see on great food and travel television shows.”
The interactive website indexes and cross references 37 shows and 3,820 restaurants and bars, and is searchable by city, zip codes and shows (there’s also a mobile app for both Android and iPhone users).
A Capital City search shows that Sacramento has appeared most frequently on — you guessed it — “Diners, Drive-In and Dives” hosted by (sort-of) native son and peroxide devotee Guy Fieri, who acquired some of his culinary chops at American River College and later opened restaurants in both Sacramento and Roseville, including Johnny Garlic’s and the now-shuttered Tex Wasabi.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to The Sacramento Bee
“Man vs. Food” and “Food Paradise” have also spent some time touring the 916.
Only one area restaurant has appeared on two TV shows, according to the site — Squeeze Inn, with segments on both Food Network’s “Diners” and Travel Channel’s “Food Paradise.”
Here’s the rundown:
1. Cafe Rolle (“Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives”)
2. Dad’s Kitchen (“Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives”)
3. Gatsby’s Diner (“Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives”)
4. Jamie’s Bar and Grill (“Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives”)
5. Jim Denny’s Hamburger and Chili (“Man vs. Food”)
6. Knucklehead Hot Dog Diner in Roseville (“Man vs. Food”)
7. Squeeze Inn (“Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives” and “Food Paradise”)
8. The Golden Bear (“Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives”)
— Tim Swanson