The words “takeout” and “Chinese” are a longtime couple, as in, “Let’s not cook dinner tonight, let’s get Chinese takeout instead.”
There’s a certain irony that Chinese takeout is an American institution, a situation the editors of The Daily Meal recently recognized. The all-things-food-and-wine website recently rounded up its list of the 15 best restaurants in America for Chinese takeout, canvassing “strip mall nooks and holes-in-the-wall, and bustling Chinatown institutions and bold new kids on the block.”
The methodology included consulting with “chefs and city experts, James Beard Award-winning and nominated chefs, and both nationally and locally trusted sources online and in print in cities across the country.” The criteria include “authenticity, regional cuisine, speed and flavor.”
Five of the 15 winners are in California. The top five are:
Digital Access for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
1. Lao Sze Chuan, Chicago, www.tonygourmetgroup.com
2. Koi Palace, Daly City, www.koipalace.com
3. San Tung, San Francisco, www.santungrestaurant.com
4. Xi’An Famous Foods, New York City, www.xianfoods.com
5. Peking duck stall attached to Corner 28 restaurant, Flushing, N.Y. (no website)
To see the complete list and read the summaries, go to www.thedailymeal.com/america-s-best-chinese-takeout/2614.