Food & Drink

No lunch but more brunch coming to Paragary’s

A view of the outdoor patio at Paragary’s, which reopened in 2015 after a $1 million renovation.
A view of the outdoor patio at Paragary’s, which reopened in 2015 after a $1 million renovation. lsterling@sacbee.com

Hold that hamburger if you were planning to drop by Paragary’s for a noon-time bite. The long-running midtown restaurant will stop serving lunch after Friday.

However, the restaurant is expanding its hours in other areas. Paragary’s is adding a Saturday brunch and Monday dinner service. The restaurant was traditionally closed on Mondays, and previously offered brunch only on Sundays. Monday dinner starts April 3 while Saturday brunch service begins April 22.

According to owner Randy Paragary, lunch was discontinued to due to light business but he said other aspects of the restaurant remain solid.

“This isn’t doom and gloom for us,” Paragary said about stopping lunch service. “Dinners are doing great, but lunches have been a bit of a drag on profitability. It’s better to concentrate on hours of operation that are busy.”

Paragary’s opened at the corner of 28th and N streets in 1983, and was formerly known as Paragary’s Bar & Oven. The restaurant is the flagship operation for Paragary, whose Paragary Restaurant Group now oversees Esquire Grill, Hock Farm Craft & Provisions, Centro Cocina Mexicana and four locations of Cafe Bernardo.

Paragary’s debuted a $1 million makeover in June 2015, following a closure for construction work that lasted 15 months. The renovations resulted in a Parisian vibe that included a bold, fleur-de-lys styled pattern on the floor, a large sign on the patio declaring soigne (a French term for “sleek” or “well groomed”) and other refurbishings.

Paragary said he’s open to resuming lunch service at the restaurant if there’s customer demand.

“I would never rule anything out completely,” said Paragary. “You just have to be efficient in this business.”

Chris Macias: 916-321-1253, @chris_macias

  Comments