News

Chimney fire causes $50K in damages to Delhi home

A fire that started Wednesday night in a chimney and spread to the roof and attic of a Delhi-area home caused about $50,000 in damage, according to preliminary estimates from Cal Fire-Merced County Fire Department.

Fifteen California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection firefighters responded at 8:25 p.m. to a residential structure fire in the 8800 block of Canal Drive in the Delhi area, Capt. Jeremy Rahn said.

Flames were extinguished within about 45 minutes, Rahn said. The fire was contained to the attic, and no injuries were reported.

“We can’t say for sure that this is why it started, but it’s always a good idea to have your chimney cleaned out annually,” Rahn said.

Firefighters said such fires are common around this time of year when people begin using their fireplaces again as colder weather moves in.

A similar fire was reported Wednesday in the 1600 block of Patricia Lane in Merced.

Merced city firefighters said flames there sparked in a chimney about 10:30 a.m. and spread to the attic and roof, displacing a family of three and causing about $67,500 in damage.

Additional damage was reported in a bedroom during firefighting efforts to save the home. No one was reported injured.

Neither incident is considered suspicious, according to fire officials.

  Comments