Around Town (12-25-13)

Support for mental illness

Merced County’s branch of the National Alliance on Mental Illness holds biweekly support groups for families affected by serious mental illness. For more information, call (209) 381-6844 and a volunteer will contact you within 48 hours.

VFW serves community

Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 9946 has been serving the needs of veterans and their families for more than 62 years and welcomes any veteran whose service included combat, and serves the city through various programs. The post can assist veterans in receiving benefits connected to their service at its offices at 1390 Broadway. Call (209) 358-7724.

Air museum offers tours

The Castle Air Museum Foundation is a nonprofit organization with opportunities for students, volunteers and others. For information on hours of operation, special events, volunteering and guided tours for schools or clubs, call (209) 723-2178.

Scholarships offered

Bloss Scholarship applications are now available to seniors and graduates of the Merced Union High School District who plan to attend an accredited California college or vocational school. Applicants must have graduated from the Merced Union High School District in June 1973 or thereafter. Applications are available at the high schools or at Click on departments, then college and scholarship. Completed applications and official transcripts are due by March 18. For more information, contact College and Scholarship Counselor Gena Lanz at

Reading Society to meet

The Merced Reading Society will meet at 5:30 p.m. Jan. 2 at Barnes & Noble on Olive Avenue. The group will be discussing “The Bostonians” by Henry James. If you would like to join the discussion or if you need more information, call (209) 725-1868.

DAV in need of drivers

Disabled American Veterans is looking for adults to be volunteer drivers. Helping ensures that veterans can make their appointments and not go without the treatment they need. The DAV provides a van and fuel. Call (559) 241-6424 or (559) 225-6100, ext. 6907.