Market 5-ONE-5, the natural foods store that is the branchild of Raley’s chairman and CEO Michael Teel, is ramping up for a May 15 grand-opening event in downtown Sacramento.
The grocery store at 915 R St., has been hiring staff and began the grand-opening countdown last week on Facebook. Besides stocking organic foods and various nutritional items, the store promises to be a source of education for customers dedicated to healthy eating habits.
The 11,000-square-foot concept, touted as an indoor farmers market, was proposed in 2016 as a store that would be under the umbrella of Raley’s brand, but operated independently. Since then, the former site of an office furniture store has undergone extensive upgrades and construction. Various city officials have praised the concept as a welcome addition to Sacramento’s R Street corridor.
Since assuming a 92 percent ownership stake in West Sacramento-based Raley’s in 2015, Teel has overseen multiple company-wide initiatives to promote healthier eating habits. Those include in-store “wellness specialists” available to answer customer questions on eco-friendly products, a transition to cage-free eggs, seafood offerings from only sustainable sources, free fruit for shoppers' children under the age of 12 and eliminating private-label brand sodas, including all flavors containing high-fructose corn syrup and artificial colors and flavors.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to The Sacramento Bee
- MOD Pizza, 771 Ikea Court, Suite 100, West Sacramento: The new pizza house touting ingredients galore opened doors on April 23.
- New Glory Eatery & Taproom, 5540 Douglas Blvd., Granite Bay: The company announced the opening of its food and drink destination April 24 on Facebook, in the Quarry Ponds Town Center.
- Bingo Hall, inside Thunder Valley Casino Resort, 1200 Athens Ave., Lincoln: The resort’s newly constructed bingo hall, opened with a ribbon-cutting ceremony on April 26, can accommodate 800 players.
- Cabernet Nail Spa, 5530 Douglas Blvd., Suite 120, Granite Bay: The organic nail spa touting the use of sea salts, essential oils and herbs hosted grand-opening festivities on April 27.
- Back Bistro, 230 Palladio Parkway, Suite 1201, Folsom: The stylish stop for food and drinks will host a ribbon-cutting ceremony at 6 p.m. Monday, followed by a “VIP Grand Opening Gala” on Thursday.
- Solomon’s Delicatessen, 500 First St., Davis: The Jewish deli’s Facebook post on April 26 said it’s planning a May opening in the Davis Commons shopping center.
- Golden Road Brewing, 19th and L streets, Sacramento: The Los Angeles-based brewer has scheduled Thursday for the opening of its midtown beer garden.
- Ol’ Republic Brewery, 11151 Trade Center Drive, Suite 104, Rancho Cordova: In a Facebook post, the brewery said it will host grand-opening festivities at 3 p.m. Friday.
- The Mimosa House, 3155 Zinfindel Drive, Rancho Cordova: The latest addition to the local Mimosa group has been hiring to staff its new site, scheduled to commence a soft opening on May 15.