How you can help residents in the Redding fire zone

As the Carr Fire burns through Redding, forcing the evacuation of 37,000 residents, emergency relief efforts are under way.

Among them, the Salvation Army is serving meals at Shasta Community College after being forced to shut down the evacuation center at Shasta High School when that location was threatened Thursday.

The Salvation Army provides short- and long-term assistance to people displaced by disasters. This includes meals and vouchers for evacuees as well as housing or rental assistance for those who have lost their homes.

To assist in that effort, the most effective thing you can do now is make monetary donations, said Sydney Fong of Salvation Army. While food and clothing are part of the equation, storage and distribution can be a challenge for relief organizations.

Monetary contributions can provide more individualized support, such as helping pay for medication or replacing home health equipment. “All nonprofits want to be able to cater to the specific needs of residents,” Fong said. Donate to The Salvation Army’s Redding fire recovery efforts fund here.

Here’s are some other ways you can help now:

  • Salvation Army is not yet requesting volunteers, but you can track updates on the Redding relief efforts and their evolving needs at Check back later to see if volunteers are needed.
  • The Red Cross, which assists fire evacuees, also can use donations; you can give online by clicking here, calling 800-RED-CROSS or texting REDCROSS to 90999 to make a $10 donation, billed to your wireless carrier fund.
  • United Way of Northern California is accepting donations for its Shasta County Fire Relief Fund. All proceeds will benefit victims of the Carr Fire. Donate to the United Way Shasta County Fire Relief Fund here or by texting CARRFIRE to 91999, which will text you back with options for giving.
  • Tri Counties Bank has pledged an initial $25,000 to a Carr Fire Fund 2018 in a verified GoFundMe campaign to help those impacted by the fires. Read more about it and donate here.
  • Give to a California food bank that’s helping victims, but first, call and make sure they need donations. Find your local food bank here.

This list will be updated as we get more information.

Are you part of a local organization providing relief from the Carr Fire? Get in touch with Julia Sclafani at or (916) 321-1907.

Related stories from Sacramento Bee