Water & Drought

How can you report water waste in unincorporated areas of the county?

Q: How can you report people who are wasting water in the unincorporated areas of the county? – Theresa Gregory, Sacramento

A: Suspected violations can be reported to the local water provider. More than two dozen districts and agencies provide water in the greater Sacramento area, so determining whose water is going down the drain can be like solving a puzzle. But we found a useful key.

The Regional Water Authority created a map of water jurisdictions. Find it here. The interactive map is part of the RWA’s www.BeWaterSmart.info website. Once you determine the district that serves the location in question, click on that district’s link. Each district lists its own water-waster hotline.

For example, the Carmichael Water District’s reporting line is (916) 483-2452. The hotline for San Juan Water District, which serves much of Placer County, is (916) 791-2663.

When reporting an incident, remember to be as specific as possible, including exact address as well as day and time of the alleged incident. Also note if this is a continuing issue, such as sprinklers spraying sidewalks every morning.

Residents in the City of Sacramento have it easier. To report potential water wasters, call the city hotline at 311.