Residential burn permits required beginning May 1

Residential burn permits will be required beginning Friday for properties in the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection’s Amador-El Dorado Unit.

The permits, issued free of charge, allow for burning of dry vegetation that originates on the landowner’s property. They are available at most local, staffed fire stations, according to a Cal Fire news release.

Because this past winter was one of the driest and hottest on record, fire officials urge people to exercise caution when burning landscape debris.

They note that burn permits allow burning only of vegetation, not household trash, and that burn barrels are no longer legal in Amador or El Dorado counties. Tips on burning residential landscape debris are available at www.fire.ca.gov. They include:

▪ Make sure the burn pile is no larger than 4 feet by 4 feet.

▪ Scrape a 10-foot-wide ring around the pile down to bare dirt.

▪ Have a shovel and water supply, such as a garden hose, close by.

▪ Make sure an adult is present at all times until the fire is completely out.

Call that day to make sure burning is permitted. In Amador County, call (209) 223-6246; El Dorado County, (530) 621-5897; Sacramento County, (916) 874-4800; and Alpine County, (760) 872-8211, ext. 240.

For alternatives to burning, go to www.amadorfiresafe.org or www.edcfiresafe.org for details on their programs.

Call The Bee’s Cathy Locke, (916) 321-5287.