A failed cable tie from a high voltage line caused a major power outage at the UC Davis Medical Center Thursday morning, according to the Sacramento Municipal Utility District.
“The cable failed due to a fire,” SMUD spokesman Chris Capra said.
Toby Marsh, director of patient care services at the hospital, said the outage began at 7:45 a.m., but the hospital immediately transitioned to backup generators.
“No patient safety was compromised. There were no changes in the delivery of patient care,” he said, noting that vital equipment is plugged into emergency outlets.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to The Sacramento Bee
Power was restored at 10 a.m. Some surgeries were delayed, Marsh said.