The Sacramento Municipal Utility District reminds residents that Christmas trees can serve a purpose after the holidays.
Instead of tossing the trees in the trash, residents are encouraged to deliver them to designated tree-recycling locations. Trees will be accepted from 8 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. on Saturday, Jan. 4 at the SMUD Corporation Yard, 6100 Folsom Blvd. SMUD will mulch the trees free of charge.
All tinsel, lights, tree stands and nails must be removed. Flocked trees will be accepted.
The limit is five trees per vehicle.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to The Sacramento Bee
Other locations accepting Christmas trees for recycling include:
• Elder Creek Recovery and Transfer Station, 8642 Elder Creek Road, 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Jan. 4; 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday, and 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturdays through Jan. 31.
• Kiefer Landfill, 12701 Kiefer Blvd., 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. on Jan. 4 and 5.
• North Area Recovery Station, 4450 Roseville Road, 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Jan. 4 and 5.
• Sacramento Recycling and Transfer Station, 8491 Fruitridge Road, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Jan. 4, and 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Saturday through Jan. 31.
• Dan Russell Rodeo Arena at Folsom City Park, end of Stafford Street in Folsom, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Jan. 4 and 5.
Loads of more than five trees will be accepted only at the Elder Creek Recovery Station, Kiefer Landfill, North Area Recovery Station and the Dan Russell Rodeo Arena.