The pyrotechnics are back! New Year’s Eve fireworks returning to Old Sacramento
After the success of last year’s pyrotechnics display, Old Sacramento will put on a similar fireworks show on New Year’s Eve, city officials said.
The free show will run from 5 to 10 p.m. Wednesday, Dec. 31, on the waterfront, featuring “live music, interactive activities and a single countdown with a custom fireworks display at 9 p.m.,” the city said in a statement Monday.
“This event is all about creating a memorable New Years’ experience that feels special to Old Sacramento, with fireworks and light bringing the historic waterfront to life in a way people can enjoy together earlier in the evening,” Chelsea Evans, district manager for the Old Sacramento Waterfront, said in the release.
Pyro Spectaculars Inc. and Stage Nine Exhibits will produce a fireworks and light display in front of the Holiday Tree at 9 p.m., the city said.
According to a city spokesperson, the companies had put on last year’s show of ground-based pyrotechnics, marking the first fireworks to be displayed in the historic district since 2019.
The annual fireworks show was canceled in 2020 and 2021 because of the coronavirus pandemic, and in subsequent years because of “logistical challenges,” including traffic and finances.
There will be only one countdown at 9 p.m., city officials said. There will be no midnight countdown or fireworks show and all festivities will conclude at 10 p.m.
Parking and road closures
Old Sacramento will be closed to traffic from 2 p.m. to 1 a.m. on New Year’s Eve, the city said.
Closures include Second, Front, K, J and I streets, as well as Firehouse Alley. L Street and Neasham Circle will remain open for limited access.
Streets affected include Second, Front, K, J and I streets as well as Firehouse Alley. L Street and Neasham Circle will remain open for limited access.
Attendees also are encouraged to use public transit, ride-share services or nearby parking garages.
Prepaid parking will be available at the Old Sacramento Garage and Tower Bridge Garage for $20 beginning at 3 p.m.
A complimentary TukTuk shuttle will pick up passengers near Front Street and L Street and at Second Street and I Street, the city said.
This story was originally published December 22, 2025 at 11:45 AM.
CORRECTION: Due to an editing error, this story has been updated to reflect that the show will be similar in nature to last year’s ground-based fireworks event.