Arena

Arena construction went past Sacramento curfew

Local dignitaries gather for a groundbreaking ceremony for the new downtown arena in Sacramento on Wednesday, October 29, 2014.
Local dignitaries gather for a groundbreaking ceremony for the new downtown arena in Sacramento on Wednesday, October 29, 2014. rbenton@sacbee.com

In an early hiccup for the downtown arena project, general contractor Turner Construction Co. appears to have worked past the city-imposed 11 p.m. time limit Wednesday.

The Kings broke ground earlier in the day on the $477 million arena in a gala ceremony led by Mayor Kevin Johnson and Kings Chairman Vivek Ranadive.

Work on the new arena is supposed to be limited to 6 a.m. to 11 p.m. Turner’s permit has a variance that lets it work around the clock for up to three days at a time, but only after giving notice to the city and owners of properties within 200 feet of the project at Downtown Plaza, said city project manager Desmond Parrington.

After getting a pair of complaints from downtown residents that work had continued past 11 p.m. Wednesday, the city contacted Turner officials. The company acknowledged that it hadn’t notified nearby property owners, as required under the variance, Parrington said Thursday. Turner believed it had cleared the late-night work with the city, although Parrington said he wasn’t aware of any such clearance.

Parrington added that Turner had done some overnight work during the demolition phase of the project, but only after the proper notices were given to the city and the public.

The variance is designed to let Turner haul some of the most cumbersome construction materials in or out of the site at a time when downtown street traffic is minimal.

Officials with the Kings declined comment. Officials with Turner couldn’t be reached for comment.

Call The Bee’s Dale Kasler, (916) 321-1066. Follow him on Twitter @dakasler.

Related stories from Sacramento Bee

  Comments