Crime - Sacto 911

Child among five rescued from burning Citrus Heights apartments

A child was rescued from a burning Citrus Heights apartment early Friday by Sacramento Metropolitan Fire District personnel.

The child was among five people who survived the blaze that broke out about 12:30 a.m. in a two-story apartment building in the 7600 block of Greenback Lane. When firefighters arrived on the scene, they saw flames coming from a second-floor apartment.

Firefighters were told that people were trapped inside. A search began in the burning building.

The child was brought to safety from one burning apartment and two adults on the balcony of an adjacent unit were rescued. The child and two other adults, who got themselves out of their burning apartment, suffered “significant” injuries and were taken to the hospital, Metro Fire said.

The two adults helped from the balcony were not injured. Two Citrus Heights police officers suffered minor injuries.

In total, two apartments were burned and three other units were damaged by smoke and water. The cause of the fire, which caused an estimated $200,000 in damage, was determined to be accidental and electrical in nature.

Bill Lindelof: 916-321-1079, @Lindelofnews

  Comments