Crime - Sacto 911

Dog dies in south Sacramento County house fire

The first floor of a south Sacramento County home was damaged by a fire that started on the kitchen stovetop.
The first floor of a south Sacramento County home was damaged by a fire that started on the kitchen stovetop. Sacramento Metropolitan Fire District

A dog died in a south Sacramento County house fire that started on a stovetop Friday morning.

Just before 10 a.m., a street sweeper turned onto Calla Way, east of Power Inn Road and north of Calvine Road, and the driver noticed smoke coming from a house, according to a Sacramento Metropolitan Fire District news release. The driver called 911 and fire crews were dispatched to the 8200 block of Calla Way, where they found a fire in a two-story home.

The residents were not home at the time, but their two dogs were. One dog was able to escape, but the other perished inside the house, fire officials said.

Firefighters were able to contain the fire to the first floor, but the entire house sustained smoke damage.

Fire investigators determined the fire started on the stovetop in the kitchen and quickly spread through the first floor. Total damage was estimated at $65,000, fire officials said.

Cathy Locke: 916-321-5287, @lockecathy

  Comments