The Sacramento Fire Department are calling a blaze that broke out Wednesday afternoon in an abandoned south Sacramento home suspicious.
Crews responded to calls of a residential structure fire at the intersection of Eddylee Way near Collingwood Street, according to Battalion Chief Craig Emery.
When they arrived, firefighters found a house that was abandoned and had been boarded up with heavy metal security boards.
“There was no easy way in,” Emery said. Firefighters used a metal cutting saw to gain access into the home, which delayed crews by about five minutes, Emery said.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to The Sacramento Bee
The fire was said to have started in the backyard and moved up to the attic of the single-floor home, according to the fire department. A fire-charred shopping cart was seen next to the house Wednesday afternoon, near where most of the damage appeared to have occurred.
Emery said that there were no injuries reported and that the cause of the fire was still under investigation.